Saturday, July 31, 2010

Next project

So, my current plan is to build a small PC case. I did a full case mod once before. It was kind of involved; lots of painting, cutting, Bondo-ing...I had fun with it. It could have looked better in the end, but for a first effort, I thought it was pretty good. I'll throw up some pics one of these days if I can find them.

The project I'm starting now is inspired by those "shuttle" PC cases. I've wanted one for a long time, something I could keep in the basement as a media server, but move to an upstairs desk to do some work or gaming if I wanted to. Now that I have a nice HDTV I could hook it up to for gaming, I'm even more interested.

My sudden kick-start came from a Geeks.com e-mail a few days ago showing off this little guy. I thought it was a good deal, and the case is sweet. The FM receiver is a nice touch, and the mini-PCI slot is an ingenious idea for a mini PC. But after looking at the specs more closely, and looking around the site more, I found that I could put together a much better system for less money. It would be able to transcode video and play the games I want, just as I've been thinking about for the last year or two (no, I don't get too hyped about the latest and greatest for PC; if it's enough to run Fallout 3, I'm perfectly happy).

So, long story short, I found a couple of components around the house that would suffice, and I'm ordering the rest for under $150. I decided it would be more fun to build a case than to buy one, so that's what I'm getting started on. I'm completely disassembling an existing case to cut down, give a sexy paint job, and reassemble. Pics so far and system specs will be coming soon. I also need to come up with a name; that will probably happen as the project takes shape.

No comments:

Post a Comment