Monday, August 2, 2010

Parts ordered

I ordered the parts for the PC build this weekend, and they shipped today! If I'm lucky, they'll arrive by Friday. I'm dying to take some more precise measurements of the board so I can start cutting! :-)

I've been trying to draw inspiration from 50s sci-fi for the case mod. I found a great repository of one artist's pulp covers and saved some favorites here, and have been watching a few movies as well. I'd love to see more ideas if anyone has them. Pics would be great, but a written description is cool, too. Here are a couple of particular selections that I really like:



The movies are so interesting from a cultural perspective; the "ultra-progressive" inclusion of a token educated woman, the anti-Soviet attitude, the sexist behavior of the men that often borders on abuse, the sheer whiteness of it all (did you know that native Martians are identical to Americans?)...this was definitely a distinct era of Americana, especially visually. I've always loved the distinct style of these things, represented in futuristic fiction as well as the automobiles and other decor of the time. Everything is so rounded...unless it's pointy, of course (like the tail fins--or the women *ahem*)...and somewhere around '55, suddenly there's chrome EVERYWHERE.

I promised to catalog my progress, so I'm going to take some pics of the disassembled case tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment