Friday, August 27, 2010

Getting down to it

I hope to get a lot done this weekend. Pics of the most recent work will be posted later today (front panel has been cut out and is marked for cutting holes), and the most recent render is in the pane on the right.

Since I soon have to disassemble the PC for test-fitting into the mod, that's probably going to be the last render. I'll be setting up the old PC again so I can continue to browse and post while I'm working, but it just doesn't have enough power to render the model in it's current state anymore (unless I let it run all freaking day). I think I've got it where I want it now. The VFD got moved to the top so the DVD and HDDs can be mounted together and in the right place (also helps airflow to the blowhole), and the ball got moved up a bit so it clears the motherboard components (don't know what happened in the render with that steel face inside the ball at the top; I can't find it in the model). Fixed the USB ports which I noticed weren't showing up for a while. I'm not entirely sure about the mounting of the USB ports yet; I might use some kind of chrome faceplate or something.

Here's today's optimistic to-do list:
1a) get some 3/4" angle again, to use for drive mounting and such
1b) assemble drive mounts into frame
2) start cutting on front panel (finish when plasma ball arrives; need exact diameter before cutting hole)
3) start sanding/bending/cutting on the outer shell so I can paint it soon.
4) test the PAE-SATA adapter before tearing PC down (it arrived yesterday)

No comments:

Post a Comment