Thursday, August 19, 2010

About to get started

I fucked up in my measurements somewhere along the line. Not sure where I went wrong, but I intended for the thing to be 9.5" deep all along. When I went to start laying out where to cut/bend the sheet metal, I measured the depth again and got 10", which is what I remembered from the first time I measured. I looked at my model for reference and saw that I had made it 12" deep. That's not cool. Upon further investigation, I realized that it can't be any less than 10".

So, I reworked things, as opposed to going out and finding another appliance to tear apart that would give me a big enough sheet. I shrunk it to 10" and eliminated the protrusion, replacing it with chrome trim (I plan to use the stuff they sell for car doors; it's cheap and easy to work with). Since it would have been too much, I eliminated the existing chrome I had on the front and sides. I think it turned out OK; I'll post the render later, or tomorrow (don't feel like it right now).

I also measured out on the sheet where the pods and window can go, laying it out so that I can cover up one set of vents already in the sheet, cut out the one above it for the window, and leave the top set in place. I updated the model with the new positions and added the vents. Then, I used an old case panel as a straightedge and nibbled the sheet down to the length I need, leaving about a 1/2" margin to bend over (more than I need, but I wanted to make sure I had enough).

Bending is going to be a pain. I wonder if I should get a brake. I might be heading to Cedar Rapids again tomorrow anyway; might make a quick HF stop if I decide I need one.

No comments:

Post a Comment